Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Song and Dance..and a Hijab: Love it or Shove it?

I never knew there were so many hijabi singers in the world, but apparently there are and I'm a tiny, tiny bit surprised. I'm not singling out hijabis, I think Muslims in general should steer quite clear of singing careers. Obviously there's the whole nasheed thing that you have to bear in mind but singing as an actual career choice is not something I really approve of.. but maybe that's because of the way I have been brought up as it doesn't really have that much of a religious basis. But Islam does encourage humans to do useful work for their society, singing is not a useful job in my opinion.

It seems, Arab TV, as well as others like Malaysia don't agree with me, what with shows on many channels similar to the X Factor etc. Which brings me to some interesting photos I found:

These were taken in Malasiya, I'm not sure what the event is exactly but it looks like a singing contest:

Now, I am quite an open minded person and I hate saying that this is "haram or that is bida or you're a kaffir" at the end of the day everyone has logic and that's what they will be judged by however, I really think hijab is not just a bit of cloth or an extra layer of clothing.
The Quran talks a lot more about acting in an appropriate, modest manner than dressing modestly. I think a hijab is something you create around you, an actual barrier built by lowering your gaze and the way in which you act and talk around the opposite sex. I feel like singing in a 'modern' world breaks this barrier for both males and females and no amount of cloth can put it back up. Or am I just a bit uptight? I feel uptight writing it! But what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment