Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hijabi at a Formal Dinner - Requested by Riz

Stylish Muslimah reader, Riz is wondering what to wear to a formal college dinner party, below I have posted some ideas:

I'm not sure how formal the dress code is but a dress or maxi skirt won't go amiss on this sort of occasion. With a solid coloured skirt (black is safe) you could wear a satin jewel coloured shirt tucked in with a Turkish style hijab and a cute contrasting clutch like this:

If you fancy this grown-up look, here's an outfit I made for inspiration:

Turkish Hijab

Turkish Hijab - by Zaenab

You could also do it the other way around by wearing a jewel coloured, satin skirt with a formal top to get the look of hijabi style icon Sheikha Mozah of Qatar:

And staying with Sheikha Mozah's wonderful look, I loooove this next outfit! It's young, fun and perfect for a formal college dinner:

I copied this look a while back:

Sheikha Mozah of Qatar

Sheikha Mozah of Qatar - by Zaenab

Another idea is to wear a maxi dress of your choice and glam it up heels/wedges, a jacket to make it more formal and a clutch. This look would work best if the event isn't as formal as a prom but you are expected to look smart.

This look is pretty casual but it shows you what I mean, although I would give the waist belt a miss myself:

If you want a more promy look, I would advise a simple evening gown coupled with a (faux!)fur bolero or different jacket/bolero/throw if fur isn't to your taste. Something like this would look cute for a more formal event where women are wearing evening gowns:

Fur Coat

Fur Coat - by Zaenab

If you don't want the hassle of buying a reveling dress and then hijabifiing it, I would suggest wearing a glam abaya from Iman Collections. They have recently launched a new collection of really nice abayas with a couple that are perfect for events like this. Here is my fave, at £175 it's not bad if you wear it to other events in the future:

As for the hijab, I would go for either a sophisticated Turkish style or a pretty style similar to the one below which covers the neck but still allows you to wear earrings:

Stuck on a colour? Stay bang on trend with electric blue, the shade of the season..

I hope this helped! If you need more tips check out a post I did a while back on prom dresses, here. If you want to wear trousers instead just say and I'll do a post on it, Insha'Allah :D Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment